Wellton, founded in 1878 and incorporated in 1970, lies 29 miles east of Yuma, Arizona. It is a center for business, services, and recreation for more than 5,000 residents in the valley and the surrounding area. Winter and retired residents also contribute to the local economy.
Wellton (originally Well Town) was named for the time water wells were drilled to service the Southern Pacific Railroad. Most areas were settled in the 1860′s as the need arose for stations to serve the Butterfield Overland Mail stagecoaches. With the railroads eventually supplanting the stagecoach lines in the 1870′s, several communities were established (Tacna and Wellton) to provide water facilities for the old steam-powered engines. As the stagecoach gave way to the railroad, so the railroad gave way to the automobile. Though rail service is still maintained through Wellton-Mohawk Valley, the current economic livelihood is based on agriculture.